Even though it's only the end of August, the weather is definitely warning us that Fall is coming! You know what that means? Casseroles! The Fall and Winter is the best time to take advantage of one pot wonders that use the oven because it also helps warm you and your home up! This casserole is an awesome twist on a Mexican-American Favorite.
1 serving is 2 heaping cups of casserole!
- 3/4 cup yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup salsa verde (green salsa)
- 1/3 cup cilantro, coarsely chopped + more for garnish
- 2 tbs jalapeno pepper, seeded, minced
- 5 tsp white whole wheat or buckwheat flour, divided
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast (great time for rotisserie chicken!) diced or shredded
- 2 roma tomatoes, seeded, diced
- 3 tbs low fat plain greek yogurt
- 1 ripe avocado, flesh scopped out
- 8 corn tortillas, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 4 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 5 blue tortilla chips, crumbled
- lime wedges for garnish
- canola oil cooking spray
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and spray a 9x13 casserole dish liberally with canola oil; set aside
- combine onion and next 7 ingredients (through garlic) in a medium saucepan, on med-high heat, using a whisk to combine. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 4 min. Stir in chicken; cook 1 minute or until heated through.
- Remove from heat and stir in diced tomato, yogurt, and avocado.
- Lay one third of tortilla strips on bottom of casserole dish. Cover with one third chicken mixture; repeat layers, ending with chicken mixture.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly over casserole and sprinkle crumbled tortilla chips over.
- Place casserole dish into oven and bake for 10 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and melted. Remove from oven to a wire rack and let sit for 10 min. before serving. Serve with a lime wedge if desired.
Pro tip: casserole portions best when totally cooled (even refrigerated is better.