Who loves stuffing? We do! This recipe is the perfect combination of sweet and savory, and provides and unexpected twist to a Thanksgiving Classic, while adding some extra protein!
Calories: 202, Protein: 11g, Carbs 29g, Fat 5g
- 30 g (2 tbsp) extra-virgin olive oil
- 100 g onion chopped
- 400 g celery chopped
- 272 g chicken or turkey sausage, casing removed and crumbled
- 1 1/4 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 lb stale whole-grain bread, cubed*
- 200 g/ 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add celery and onion and stir until softened (about 8-10 minutes).
- Add sausage, poultry seasoning, pepper and salt to the pan. Stir until sausage is cooked just through and you can't see any raw sausage (roughly 7-8 minutes)
- Transfer to a large slow cooker, set to high. Add remaining ingredients: bread, apple, and broth. Stir, cover and cook for 2 hours.
- *This recipe is a great opportunity to use some old bread! But if you use fresh bread, then lightly toast by baking at 275 F for 25-30 minutes, then let it cool before cutting and cubing.