Sweet treats are all the rage in the fall: apple cider donuts, Halloween candy, apple pie, cookies...the list goes on and on. Not to mention all the football parties and get-togethers where there are going to be loads of sweets and treats to choose from. Try this recipe for a healthy alternative that will still wow your taste buds!
Yields: 30-40 pumpkins
- 15 oz can Garbanzo (Chickpea) Beans
- 1/3 cup Splenda Sugar Blend of 2/3 cup granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Almond Extract
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Orange food coloring
- little tube green icing (to make the "steam/leaf")
- Line tow baking sheets with parchment paper (don't spray with oil or use foil).
- Drain canned Garbanzo beans; reserving all the aquafaba (liquid from the can), you should have about 3/4 cup liquid. Pour aquafaba into a mixing bowl. Beat on high speed with a whisk attachment until stiff peaks form; as little as 5 min, as much as 15 mins. Once the stiff peaks have been accomplished, add sugar 1 heaping tbsp at a time, and whisk until the mixture is glossy. Finally ad the food coloring and extracts.
- Using a gallon Ziploc bag, fill with the foamy mixture, ziploc the bag then cut a small "tip" in one corner of the bag. Use this as your "pastry tube" to create your pumpkins. Bake for 1 1/2 - 2 hours, or until the meringues are dry and firm to the touch. Let ghosts cool before decorating and serving. Pumpkins will keep for 2-3 days in an airtight container.